Friendlyworld Blog - Friendly world

Dec 09, 2023

How to get a residence permit for volunteering in Germany

Volunteer programs are usually available for up to 1 year. Volunteering does not guarantee a permanent residence permit, but it allows you to live in a new country, make acquaintances, find a future job, and think about your next steps. Most programs provide accommodation and food, some programs provide flight expenses and pocket money.

Well-known programs

After completing a volunteer program, it is possible to legalize in the country on other grounds - e.g. Digital Nomad, education, work. Volunteer programs can apply for a long-term visa (for the duration of the program) or get a residence permit for volunteering.

Participants of internships or volunteer programs can get a temporary residence permit in Germany.

  • One of the popular programs is Au Pair It has an age limit: 18-27 years old. Volunteers live with a host German family and help take care of the children and the house. All other conditions for participation are spelled out on the website of the program.

  • Once you have been accepted as a volunteer in the program, you must obtain a D visa in your home country.

  • Au Pairs usually receive a 90-day visa, which they must extend as a temporary residence permit while already in Germany. This will require registration with the local registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) and the Aliens Office (Ausländerbehörde).


If you want to become an ambassador for Friendly World in your town or village to help people have an unforgettable trip, sign up here as an assistant or local guide. Check out the opportunities that Friendly World has to offer - you can not only help people, but also make new friends and earn money.